Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Five Gaming Podcasts That You Should Totally Check Out

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! It's been a long week at the brick plant and I've been spending the three hours of the day I have that aren't dedicated to sleeping, working, or showering on a new article about interesting ways to start a campaign. There are some great ideas I've found and tried but the article isn't nearly finished. I have resolved, however, to bring you something interesting to read every week. 

So, today I'd like to share with you a short list of gaming-related podcasts that I really think you should check out. My job (or at least the one that pays me money) pretty much consists of throwing paving stones around for twelve hours every night in a loud factory. So, as I'm sure you can imagine, I start my long night by popping in some earbuds and listening podcasts. It keeps my mind active and distracts me from the physical stress and exhaustion the job entails. I thought I'd share with you who I've been listening to. Each of these guys run great shows and deserve a ton of recognition. 

I will begin in alphabetical order.

Dungeon Master's Block

'Welcome to the Dungeon Master's Block, the place where we focus 
on the dungeon master, the most important person in the game.'

  The hosts of this fine podcast, Chris and Mitch, go in depth about tips and tricks to add to your arsenal of tools as a game master. I've gotten so much insight from these guys for my games and although I think the soundclips they chose as themes for the segments of their show are pretty cheesy, they have a great format; I love hearing the tales of their latest game sessions during 'Storytime' and the guests they've had on are phenomenal. My favorite episode by far has been 'Under the Sea' with special guest Rich Howard, in which they talk about aquatic campaigns and adventures which I highly recommend you check out. 

GameChurch

'A videogame podcast from a different perspective, with open 
and honest conversations about games, life, and belief.'

  Wow, what can I say about these guys. Richard Clarke and Drew Dixon never fail to blow me out of the water (and force me out of my comfort zone). GameChurch is a podcast in which our fine hosts have a pleasant and very real and down-to-earth conversation with a multitude of game developers openly, honestly, and without vitriol or judgement. As a warning, GameChurch is kind of a tough listen. Their discussion of religion, worldview, and spirituality provide a wide range of viewpoints from their guests and for those who are not accustomed to that it can be stressful. Despite that, please give them a listen. Although they're topics do not relate directly to gaming, they take an in-depth look into the people in the gaming hobby, which I would argue is far more important than the game itself.

Game Store Prophets

'The show where geeks get together to talk about God, and 
God-followers get together to talk about games.'

  Starring Luke Nevaro and Mike Perna, Game Store Prophets is what I call a 'variety' podcast about games, God, and day-to-day life. These guys are fun to listen to and just brighten up my day when I listen to them. They're huge dorks and I love them for it.

Saving the Game


'A Christian podcast about tabletop roleplaying games, collaborative 
storytelling in RPGs, and other interesting topics.'

  With hosts Grant Woodward and Peter Martin, Saving the Game looks at tabletop gaming from the perspective of a Christian and how to apply our faith to our games and using gaming in our faith. Personally, Grant, Peter, and Branden (a previous host of the show) have been huge influences in my life as a gamer and in motivating my desire to blog, game, and improve my faith.

Shark Bone Podcast

'A feeding frenzy of RPG ideas.'

  With the most interesting structure for a podcast I have ever seen, Shark Bone podcast creates interesting ideas for storytelling and tabletop gaming through the creation of a world with multiple districts, each featuring a single genre. Each episode focuses on one of the specific districts and creates something new to put into that district that can be applied to creative fiction or tabletop roleplaying. Definitely something that you must hear for yourself.
_______________

Well, I hope at least one of these shows piques your interests. They're all great shows, hosted by great people! And just to be clear, I'm not being sponsored by anybody. I just love these guys and I want to see them do well. Anyways, have a great week my friends. I'll be here next Wednesday, albeit hopefully at an earlier time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment